Sunday 4 May 2014

A Birthday


The middle of spring and I've still not managed to (quite) part way with some of my most loved pieces from autumn! Student budget permitting and sheer resistance to obsolescence takes some strength; but the unequivocally vacillating British weather often requires some pieces that are versatile throughout the year. Take the 19th of April earlier this year. My mother's birthday in the middle of easter weekend was inesacapbly prone to sunshine with unpredictable showers, cloud here and there with warmth in the afternoon but of course a routinely cold evening; Oh Britain! Celebrating in the evening required something dressy (what else?!), but how does a lady manage to channel the freshness of spring without looking reminiscent of the eager teenager dressed for August you were on many May bank holidays? 

I took to my most loved silk weight Topshop jumpsuit, purchased for my 19th birthday during November. If anyone know's me, they know I am automatically drawn to neutral's and golds; the winter blush pink was perfect for that time of year, but ringed true to April without appearing committed to winter or summer tones last month. The weight also kept me warm on what was a nippy evening, and more so with the divine spring H&M tweed jacket I'd purchased last summer. This is unforgivingly spring attire, and the luminosity within the light tweed reflects the 'luxe' look of the jumpsuit. Day to evening, this ensemble speaks in volume, especially with the pairing of my beloved Topshop Rhodium heels in black (gold bar hidden, not to confuse with the matter of silver in the jacket!) and subtly matched with my H&M chain clutch bag. 

It's all about balance in this arbitrary season. Take something light and flourish in the spring months (regardless of inevitable showers), but build a contrast. Be the woman who was so prepared for the impending weather, she even earned scowls from the weather girl. 




No comments:

Post a Comment